A few days ago, I hopped online for a very pleasant surprise. My first blog award! I just got awarded the Liebster (German for favourite) by AG at Regected Riter.
I did my liebster homework and found that it’s an award given out to 5 of your favourite blogs with less than 200 followers (subscribers?). The dual purpose is to award a blog you really enjoy while also calling attention to one you feel deserves more followers. You are also encouraged to pay it forward to ~5 or less sites you read and feel deserve more followers. It’s paying it forward, not a chain letter award, no need to continue the chain if you don’t read many blogs or just don’t feel like it. In my case, I can and want to spread the liebster love!
Five is a great number. I enjoy the limitation. Mostly because I read so. many. sites. A great number of them sit far below 200 followers. If you highlight too many blogs, you lose the spotlight effect. If you receive the award and want to post it to your blog, save a copy of the Liebster icon above to use in your site award section. Mine rests happily at the end of my right sidebar. Thanks AG! I made it link back to the awarding post.
On to my mentions! First, I extend a Liebster back to AG. Someone already gave Regected Riter this reward, and I don’t believe the “rules” require a return award. However, in this case, I really like AG’s website and feel it deserves the return. AG frequently makes me laugh with rejection reaction antics and stick-figure photography. Consider it a bonus liebster to kick off with.
My 5 favourite blogs with less than 200 followers. In no particular order:
1. Merry Farmer: A Writer’s Adventure Through Life Merry blogs about the truth behind medieval times on her Medieval Mondays, among other things. I find these posts fascinating to read. Her voice tends to capture me when I sit to read her posts, regardless of the topic. Her design is crisp and simple, with her pretty smile to greet you near the top. Also relatively easy to navigate (big plus for me). Plenty of other gems and only 12 followers. Show this girl some love!
2. Kyriacities I need to spread some love to my writing buddy, Kyrias. I named the kyri race after her (featured in my original world, Taerion)! Her site features some profanity and mature scenes from time to time. Consider yourself warned. I love her writing and particularly enjoy her character interactions. I also like the cultural spice she adds to the fantasy genre. Most fantasy focuses on Caucasian characters, Kyrias’ work features a more Asian bent. You know I’m a culture nut; inject other cultures in my fantasy and it’s just win.
3. Domynoes To be honest, I chose the home link because it leads to so many places and types of blogs and records. Domy designs her own blog pages and deserves a mention despite the fact I frequently get lost in her navigation. At some point in a writer’s life the work goes from hobby to something more. Domy led me into the something more as a mentor of sorts. Granted, our publishing routes are different now, but her writing deserves more followers.
4. Verdant Hearted I’ve been following Elerah a few years, before Muse Sings moved here and got a make over. Back when she was still using weaselpickels *grin.* I find her blog’s atmosphere very relaxing and simple, like a vibrant tree with blue wispy clouds behind it (the main image). Soothing and natural. I also quite enjoy the eclectic nature of her posts. Call it a kindred spirit thing.
5. Elvenspider’s Craft Journal I’ve followed Eirien around the net for over a year (more?). Her crafts are fascinating (and fun!) to me, and again, her design is simple, spacious, and easy to navigate. She creates some of the most interesting 3D art I read about (with photos!). I knew I found a fun friend when she created an adorable hobbit burrow and talked about the craft monster in her closet. Fun reading and craft goodie grab bag rolled in one!
I’ll end by saying wow, that proved difficult to choose only five. I thought I had it until I got to number three and realized way more than two blogs competed for the last spots. These are my top five favourite reads (six counting AG; yes, I cheated to prevent bumping someone else off the list to include Regected Riter). All still make my top ten when adding back in places with over 200 followers (heck, top 7).
As always, all of my friends and favourite places online are in the links to the right…I think I need to come up with more link-organizing categories.
Enjoy your awards everyone, you make great online places I enjoy visiting! If you know a few under-visited blogs you love, pay it forward. If not, then just enjoy knowing you’re in someone’s top 7 online reads.
For the curious, the two with over 200 followers in my top 7 are:
I liked Cracked.com too but I avoid it like the zombie-creating plague of undeath it is. I tend to overstay my welcome and enter zombie-reader mode only to live again 5 hours or more later. Crack is bad, srsly.